We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
If you are new to the world of essential oils, you may wonder which are the must have essential oils to get started with.
I remember when I first started using essential oils, I had no idea where to begin or what I needed. I purchased peppermint and lavender and then didn’t have a clue what to get next. My friend Dani suggested that I get the Young Living essential oils starter kit with diffuser. It seemed to have a great assortment of useful oils. It turned out to be an amazing choice and provided all of the must have essential oils for the home.
Now that I’m an avid essential oil user (and student of aromatherapy), I regularly recommend the essential oil starter kit to friends and family. It’s like having an essential oils for first aid kit in a box. It literally has something for nearly every ailment or mood and contains nearly all of the must have essential oils.
Let’s cover which are must have essential oils if you are just getting started. It’s no wonder why these oils continue to be the top selling oils.
- Stress Away
- Citrus Fresh
- Peace & Calming
Plus, everyone who is using oils NEEDs to have a diffuser (the Young Living Premium starter kit gives you your choice of several diffusers).
Now, let me share with you WHY these are the must have essential oils:
Must Have Essential Oils for Home and Wellness
Lemon – lemon essential oil is wonderful for so many things! From blemishes to mood-boosting, the versatile oil can even be used for removing stickers and grease! Here are some other ways to use this must have essential oil:
- Diffuse lemon oil to purify the air and fill the air with a cheery aroma.
- Use lemon oil diluted in water to clean windows and mirrors. Takes out stains.
- Apply neat or diluted on the skin to clear up blemishes, just know that Lemon is photosensitive and could cause you to sunburn. Apply at least 12 hours before sun exposure.
- Lemon (and other citrus oils) contains d-limonene, which help to cut down mucus.
- Add a drop or two of Young Living’s Lemon Vitality oil to water for a refreshing drink that gently purifies and cleanses the body. Please note that you must always use glass or stainless!
- Good to soothe callouses and bunions.
Peppermint – I refer to this oil as my “gateway” oil. It was the oil that started me on the path to wellness. I initially began using it (by inhalation) for my chemo-related nausea. It works great on nausea and is also used for headaches and uplifting mood. It’s a must have essential oil!
Here are some more terrific uses for Peppermint essential oil:
- Peppermint oil has a fresh, energizing aroma that is perfect to inhale before a workout, before taking a test, or on road trips – any time a boost to your performance is desired.
- Massage a drop or two of peppermint oil on the temples, forehead, and back of neck to soothe everyday tensions. Use carrier oil if it feels hot on your skin.
- Add a drop of Peppermint Vitality oil to water to support healthy digestion.
- Add a drop of peppermint oil to Young Living’s chocolate Pure Protein Complete shake to make a “chocolate thin mint” shake!
- Add a drop to brownies – this is SOOO good!
- Rub on your chest before working out as Peppermint oil increases cardio performance by 30%! Many Olympic athletes use this!
Lavender – often referred to as the “swiss army knife” of oils, Lavender has so many uses! From relaxation to soothing minor burns and skin irritations, this oil is a must have!
- Diffuse lavender oil at bedtime as its aroma has a calming effect and can help promote restful sleep. Put a drop on your big toe, as well.
- Dryer sheets are one of the most toxic products in the average American home. Replace those chemical-laden sheets with wool dryer balls and put several drops of lavender on each.
- Apply topically to soothe the skin, great for burns and irritations.
Stress Away – Smelling like a tropical vacation, Stress Away is a must have oil for anyone who’s ever had a stressful day (um, everyone! I think this is a must have essential oil for everyone). Containing Lime, Vanilla and Copaiba essential oils, it’s like a spa in a bottle! Stress Away essential oil:
- Has a lovely aroma that promotes relaxation and letting go of stresses and tensions.
- Apply on the chest, neck, or feet to help one cope with stress more effectively.
- Use with Epsom salts in the bath or in a massage to help stresses melt right away!
- Stress Away also makes a wonderful natural perfume.
PanAway – If you’ve ever had an ache or pain in your life, you NEED this must have essential oil blend! Panaway Essential oil blend contains Peppermint, Wintergreen, Clove and Helichrysum essential oils – so soothing! We use it for everything from headaches to pulled muscles and soothing bathes. Other uses for PanAway include:
- Apply a drop on the temples and neck to cool and soothe minor tensions.
- Massage a few drops of PanAway neat or diluted into the muscles after exercise.
- Apply PanAway along the arches of the feet where the spine reflexes are.
- PanAway is another great one to use in an Epsom salt bath.
Frankincense – We’re mostly all familiar with Frankincense as one of the gifts (along with Myrrh and gold) given to baby Jesus. It was so valuable in biblical times that it was used as currency. Today, this is near the top of the list for must have essential oils we still use Frankincense and enjoy its many benefits including:
- Frankincense was one of the gifts to baby Jesus, and it is a very powerful oil!
- Diffuse or inhale Frankincense oil to promote a feeling of meditation and a calming atmosphere, a state of peace as well as a happy mood.
- Frankincense oil is also an incredibly powerful oil for the skin. Apply a drop of frankincense oil diluted in a quarter teaspoon of olive oil or a natural moisturizer to help reduce redness, smooth wrinkles, and brighten the complexion.
- Go to www.pubmed.org and research just how amazing Frankincense really is. There is a lot I cannot tell you about Frankincense due to stringent FDA regulations, but you will want to research it for sure. Johns Hopkins and NIH (National Institute for Health) are also doing research on this amazing oil right now.
- Frankincense Vitality oil is a fantastic dietary supplement that helps support normal cellular health – a crucial part of our overall health.
Citrus Fresh – I adore Citrus Fresh essential oil and use it just about every day. Made of Lemon, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Mandarin, Spearmint and Orange essential oils, it is as refreshing as it is delicious tasting and smelling.
- This product is a perfect replacement for chemical- based home fresheners. Simply add a couple drops to your diffuser and enjoy the uplifting and refreshing scent.
- It will help purify the air from unwanted odors and create a citrusy and energizing environment.
- You can add it to dryer balls for a citrus burst to your laundry.
- You can ingest this daily in your water. It tastes AMAZING.
Peace & Calming Essential Oil – just as the name says, this oil promotes peace and calming and who doesn’t need more of that? Definitely one to keep on hand as a must have essential oil. Use Peace & Calming for:
- Great sleep oil, place on big toes and wrists to inhale and melt the stress away!
- Slows your mind down in the evening before bed. Can also put on baby’s feet to sleep.
- I love to diffuse this one if I’m having one of “those days”.
Thieves Essential Oil – Thieves essential oil contains Cinnamon Bark, Rosemary, Clove, Lemon, and Eucalyptus oils, and was inspired by the legend of four thieves in the Dark Ages in France who used these herbs while robbing the dead and dying. They stuffed those herbs into cones and breathed in and didn’t catch the highly contagious bubonic plague! There are so many uses for Thieves essential oil, which, alone make it one of the must have essential oils:
- Diffuse Thieves oil in your home to help purify the air. Kills 99% of germs after 20mins.
- Thieves is a hot oil, so you may want to dilute it, and not apply to sensitive areas. The bottom of the feet works best for many.
- Thieves oil is perfect for use in natural oral care, after all, one of the ingredients is clove. Apply a drop on gums as needed.
- There is no better essential oil to use in household cleaning than Thieves oil. Dilute in a spray bottle with a natural liquid soap and water and use it to clean all surfaces in your home from kitchen countertops and floors to the bathtub and toilet bowl. Sprinkle on some baking soda if additional scrubbing action is desired.
- Young Living has an entire line of fantastic personal care and household products made with Thieves oil that I use and highly recommend! You get a sample of the cleaner in the kit!
- Because it is so potent, Young Living has Thieves Vitality to use as a supplement. Add a drop of Thieves Vitality oil to tea to support immune function when run down.
- Because it is so popular and works so well, there is a Thieves Premium Starter Kit as an option to get started with Young Living.
Valor Essential Oil – One of my FAVORITE oils, Valor helps you to feel brave! Containing Black Spruce, Blue Tansy, Camphor Wood, Geranium and Frankincense essential oils, you get not just a gorgeous scent (many people use this as perfume), but all of the therapeutic benefits of the included oils.
- Promotes feelings of courage.
- It’s a smooth, relaxing scent that helps introverts have more confidence, and extroverts calm down a little! It’s also called “Chiropractor in a bottle” as it can help align your body.
Raven Essential Oil – Raven essential oil blend combines Ravintsara, Lemon, Wintergreen, Peppermint, and Eucalyptus Radiata essential oils for a refreshing aromatic experience. This is the perfect oil blend to have on hand for winter months.
- Enjoy its comforting scent by applying it to neck and chest or by diffusing or inhaling its fresh aroma.
- Raven essential oil helps us to breathe more easily and the lemon in it cuts mucus often occurring with colds and flu.
- Note: There is a caution warning on the label that Raven is not intended for children under the age of 6 without diluting. There is a similar oil not in kit, called RC that is great for all ages. You are encouraged to do your own research to determine what you feel is best for your own family. For more information on using essential oils safely and effectively when it comes to pregnancy, babies, and children, please refer to a trusted reference guide. One of my favorites is “Gentle Babies” by Debra Raybern.
Digize – I’ll be honest. When I first received my essential oil starter kit, this oil sat on the shelf for months. Until I had terrible heartburn. I wasn’t fond of the smell, so, instead of ingesting it, I rubbed a few drops on my stomach. I was amazed that within TEN minutes, my heartburn was gone. Now we keep one on hand at all times for nausea, heartburn and indigestion. I don’t know why it works, but it sure does. This is certainly a must have essential oil, in my opinion!
- DiGize oil is a powerful essential oil that is great to apply on the belly to support the digestive system.
- Add a drop or two of DiGize Vitality oil to water after eating a heavy meal or take in homemade capsules with an equal amount of olive oil for bloating, gas, and discomfort.
- DiGize oil contains Tarragon, Ginger, Juniper, Fennel, Lemongrass, Anise, Peppermint and Patchouli essential oils. See how those can be immediately soothing? Layer Peppermint on top, to enhance the DiGize benefits.
If you’d like to get your own kit of must have essential oils, you can get started with a kit from Young Living. You’ll enjoy the 24% discount and the great oil education you receive. There are no purchase requirements once you get the kit. Order as often or as rarely as you’d like. You can learn more here. Any questions? Email me at [email protected] and I’ll get right back to you.
If you are curious why I prefer Young Living oils over other companies, it’s because of their seed-to-seal commitment. I know that I’m buying the highest quality, purest oil on the market.
And if you are new to using essential oils and are already itching to get your must have essential oils, you’ll want to check out this video on 36 ways to use essential oils:
Have an oily day, my friends!