We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
When you think of essential oils, do you think “that’s for women” or “that’s so girly”?
Not so fast! Essential oils for men are a thing, in fact, there are amazing uses for essential oils for men’s skin care, workouts and so much more!
Let me introduce you (or give you a bit more information if you are already familiar with the best essential oils for men), to the wonderful world of essential oils.
There are some fantastic essential oils for beard and mustache care, sore muscles, getting the smell out of your workout gear (come on, fess up, you don’t even wash your sneakers, do you?) and even essential oils for men’s emotional well-being.
Here are some of the best essential oils for men and their uses:
So, let’s get this out of the way first. ALL essential oils are for men (and women, and even some for pets, but that’s another story). The fact is that while men can use any essential oil, they probably don’t want to smell like geraniums.
Men tend toward earthy and woodsy fragrances and I’ll share some great ones and their uses below.
1. Vetiver Essential oil
For a relaxing scent, men love Vetiver essential oil. This oil, like Lavender, is ideal for diffusing at bedtime or when you are stressed. Your team playing during playoffs, preparing for a job interview or dealing with the loss of a job – it’s calming and relaxing. It has also been said that Vetiver promotes concentration and focus.
While lavender has a floral aroma, Vetiver is more of a smoky and earthy scent. Vetiver essential oil makes a great fixative in essential oil blends for men.
Lavender is still great essential oil for men (it’s even used in some men’s colognes), but if you are looking for a more manly scent that also has relaxing properties, Vetiver is the way to go.
Vetiver roots have been used to fragrance fabrics and clothing for centuries. The roots have even been used to create traditional, aromatic baskets and mats.
How to Use Vetiver Essential Oil:
- In a diffuser with other suggested oils (see below) for a relaxing evening.
- Boost your concentration by sniffing it right from the bottle.
- Add Vetiver essential oil to your face wash for extra cleansing power.
You might want to try blending vetiver with Black Pepper, Cedarwood, Cinnamon Bark (or Cassia), or Sandalwood (either Sacred Sandalwood or Hawaiian Sandalwood).
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint is an amazing essential oil for men! It is fresh, minty and energizing. Peppermint essential oil has been around for a loooong time and is known for its uplifting minty aroma that helps to relieve fatigue and restlessness.
Stressful days at work, missing car keys, and other of life’s stressors can be draining to your mental health. While we all love a good cup of coffee for energy, try instead (or in addition to) using peppermint oil for a pick me up.
It can increase energy levels and strengthen mental clarity, especially during the dreaded midday slump.
How to Use Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Add 4 drops of Peppermint to a some V-6™ or another carrier oil and massage into your muscles for a cooling, post-leg day massage.
- Make this amazing DIY head tension roll-on and glide it over your neck and temples whenever you need relief or a pick-me-up.
- Diffuse it with Thieves® essential oil for a calming, yet energizing blend
- Combine a few drops with aloe vera gel or another carrier oil to cool off after a day at the beach or in the sun.
3. Copaiba Essential Oil
Another of the granddaddies of essential oils for men, Copaiba has many skin care benefits. It is a top essential oil for men’s skin care. In addition, it also includes the naturally occurring constituent beta-caryophyllene.
Copaiba has a warm and balsamic scent and is amazing for diffusing and using in a DIY cologne for men. (See some DIY recipes for men’s cologne below). You’ll love to scent without being overpowered by the aroma.
How to Use Copaiba Essential Oil:
- Enhance your favorite beard oil or make your own with this easy recipe.
- Add a drop to your morning moisturizer. Yes, even men should be moisturizing daily!
- Rub it into the bottoms of your feet before bed for a restful night sleep
Other manly essential oils to try with Copaiba are cypress, frankincense, lemon Citrus, nutmeg, or sandalwood.
4. Sacred Sandalwood Essential Oil
We could NOT make a list of essential oils for men without including Sacred Sandalwood! This oil has a distinct woodsy aroma that is long-lasting.
Sacred Sandalwood is a common scent for men and is often used in colognes and other men’s product, such as aftershave and soap. It has a masculine, uplifting and invigorating aroma.
Sandalwood is often used for a sleep aid as it promotes tranquility and peace. It is also used on dry skin and for eczema – another great essential oil for men’s skin care!
It’s important to know that not all Sandalwood is created equal. Sandalwood has been overharvested and has been made vulnerable. Young Living guarantees the highest quality by their Seed to Seal program and using only company owned or partner farms.
Fun Fact: It takes 30 years for a sandalwood tree to mature to the point that the essential oils can be extracted!
Give Sandalwood a try paired with Bergamot, Black Pepper, Clover or Myrrh.
How to Use Sacred Sandalwood Essential Oil:
- Itchy, dry scalp? Add a few drops of Sacred Sandalwood in your conditioner or directly on your scalp and massage in (your hair won’t feel oily).
- Who says baths are only for girls? Make a relaxing bath for you with 3-5 drops Sacred Sandalwood and ¼ cup Epsom salt.
- Diffuse it while watching the game so you don’t lose it when your favorite wide receiver misses that TD catch! You’ll love the calming, rustic, earthy scent. It’s one of the best essential oils for diffusers for men!
You may also want to try Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood to compare. You’ll love both!
5. Ginger Essential Oil
Men love the spicy, invigorating aroma of Ginger. You might not think of Ginger as a useful essential oil (other than for cooking), Ginger is one of the best essential oils for men.
It is effective without a girly scent. Great for massage, keeping you awake and focused or as an air freshener.
How to Use Ginger Essential Oil:
- Combine it with a carrier oil, such as Ortho Ease® Massage Oil and rub over tired muscles and joints.
- Add a few drops to your laundry soap to make your clothes smell super fresh.
- Hey, we all need to keep an air freshener in the bathroom, cuz, well, you know. Instead of buying an air freshener spray filled with chemicals, create a DIY air freshener spray in minutes by combining 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons witch hazel (or vodka), 20 drops Ginger, and 10 drops Lemon.
6. Tea Tree Essential Oil
This multi-purpose oil is a fantastic essential oil for men – and women!
It has well-documented cleansing properties – great for everything from cleaning to skin care and everything in between.
You’ll love the fresh, Eucalyptus-like smell.
How to Use Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- Diffuse it to eliminate unwanted odors from stinky gym bags to your roommate’s sneakers.
- Prevent or banish blemishes by adding a drop to your aftershave lotion.
- Tea Tree essential oil makes a “chill” cleansing scalp massage oil Just take 2 drops of Tea Tree and 4 drops of a carrier oil (coconut oil is a good one for this) and massage in oils in your scalp for 3-5 before washing your hair..ahhhh..your head will feel amazing!
- If you don’t have any Thieves on hand, you can make and easy all-purpose cleaner using 1 cup of distilled water (tap water is OK, too) 1 cup vinegar, 10 drops Tea Tree, and 10 drops Pine.
7. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil has an earthy, uplifting aroma that’s perfect for grounding and spiritual connectedness. In biblical times, it was more valuable than gold and is part of the recipe in the Bible for a holy, anointing oil.
It is a stimulating oil, yet mind-elevating one and can help you deal with everyday stress
Frankincense is a powerhouse oil and can be used for: immune support, skin health and spiritual grounding. It has also been shown to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure.
Studies have shown its effectiveness in stress relief, reducing anxiety and facing stress-inducing events such as job interviews, exams or popping the question!
A fantastic addition to the list of best essential oils for men, Frankincense is known for being an immune system booster and is wonderful for oral health. It has been shown to strengthen gums, too.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil:
- Dilute with a carrier oil and rub on sore joints and muscles
- For thousands of years Frankincense has been applied to wounds to promote healing and protect from infections.
- Add 2 drops of Frankincense with 2 drops of Orange to help support a restful sleep.
8. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary Sage is a terrific essential oil for testosterone level boosting. Low testosterone can affect the body in many ways including chronic fatigue, depression, mood changes, reduced libido and poor appetite. Stress can reduce men’s testosterone level.
Clary Sage can help to stimulate the brain and nervous system and help properly balance hormone levels. It’s an important one on the list of essential oils for men.
Clary sage is relaxing, herbaceous and calming. It contains linalool, one of the aromatic constituents found in lavender making it a refreshing herbal aroma without the floral scent. It’s more of a manly aroma with calming effects.
In one laboratory study, clary sage oil helped heal severe skin infections caused by several strains of Staphylococcus bacteria. The lab study used swabs from the bacterial infections of 61 people. Each had a difficult-to-treat wound that wasn’t responding well to antibiotics. The wounds were caused by burns, diabetes, or surgical procedures. Diluted clary sage oil was found to be effective against several bacterial strains.
How to Use Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- Enjoy clary sage essential oil in a home or office diffuser!
- Keep a bottle with you to sniff when faced with a stressful time
- It is safe to use “neat” (directly on skin) so it’s great to put on rashes or to improve skin health as it balances the production of natural oil and sebum and strengthens the skin and muscles.
- Add to a carrier oil such as Ortho ease and massage on muscle aches, joint pain, strains, and sprains. It enhances circulation which helps to heal those muscle aches.
9. Black Pepper Essential Oil
We all know black pepper as one of the most common spices in cooking and its partner, salt, but as an essential oil for men (and women, too!), black pepper has numerous benefits.
Its aroma isspicy, sporty, and woodsy. It adds a robust vibe to all types of men’s blends.
Black Pepper essential oil can be quite strong when diffused by itself but can add warmth and spice up when added to your favorite DIY diffuser blends.
Black Pepper is an excellent essential oil for men to help reduce muscle tension and the soreness after a workout.
It also supports healthy digestion.
Fun Fact: In ancient Greece and Rome, black pepper was extremely popular and was even used as a medium of exchange. It was described in that time as “more expensive than gold.
Try combining black pepper with cardamom, lavender, marjoram, or rosemary.
How to Use Black Pepper Essential Oil:
- Instead of store-bought ground black pepper, add a drop of Black Pepper essential oil to your steak marinade (Note: not all essential oils are ingestible. Read the label or ask your aromatherapy professional – you can email me at [email protected] and I’ll help you out).
- Ever wake up more tired after an afternoon nap? Get rid of that groggy feeling by adding a few drops of Black Pepper essential oil to the bottom of your feet. It will help you go from groggy to “let’s go!” with its stimulating properties.
- Who would have thought that Black Pepper essential oil contains many natural chemicals that are important in supporting natural functions of the body? Some of these chemicals include monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes, which are known for their antioxidant activity when ingested. Add one or two drops of Black Pepper essential oil to a veggie capsule and take daily for great immune support and to support healthy circulation. We also like to add Thieves for an extra immune boost.
- Going for a hike in the fall or winter? Apply one drop of Black Pepper essential oil to a carrier oil and apply to the bottom of your feet before you head out. Black Pepper’s chemical composition allows for a warming sensation to bloom in the area where it has been applied. It’s terrific to add to your feet before heading out to shovel snow, ski or snowboard, as well.
10. Shutran Essential Oil Blend
Shutran is an essential oil blend exclusive to Young Living.
Shutran contains Idaho Blue spruce, Ocotea leaf oil, Ylang ylang Flower oil, Hinoki oil, Coriander seed oil, Davana Flower oil, Lavender oil, Cedarwood oil, Lemon oil, and Northern Lights Black Spruce oil – all 100% pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil.
When it’s any other month than “No Shave November”, and you really must shave, treat your face to Shutran.
Shutran’s blend contains so many hydrating ingredients and pure essential oils that will give you smooth skin yet smell masculine and nature-like.
How to Use Shutran Essential Oil Blend:
- Diffuse with a combination (choose 1-2 additional of these) of Patchouli, Cedarwood, Bergamot, Northern Lights Black Spruce, or Black Pepper
- Combine the above oils in a roller bottle and roll on wrists and behind ears for a great all-natural men’s cologne with anti-bacterial, calming, energizing and immune-boosting properties, to boot.
- Add a few drops to your after-shave lotion for a great-smelling and beneficial boost.
Shutran Essential Oil is also available in other Young Living Men’s Products including shave cream, men’s body wash, bar soap and beard oil.
Some Terrific Products that Include Essential Oils for Men
- Massage Cool Azul™ Pain Relief Cream into your skin after a workout for a cooling sensation that provides relief from minor muscle and joint aches, arthritis, strains, bruises, and sprains.
- Apply Deep Relief™ Roll-On to your neck and chest before working out to inspire you to push harder or apply it as part of a post-activity massage to target areas that need it most.
- Reach for Lime Vitality, Tangerine Vitality, or Orange Vitality instead of sugary sports drinks to stay hydrated! Just a drop or two for a hydrating and delicious drink. (keep in your gym bag to easily add to bottled water)
- You can add Vitality Essential Oils in place of dried herbs when cooking or BBQing. Add Lemon Vitality to fish, Black Pepper Vitality to steak sauce and marinades, and Basil Vitality to Italian. Try a few and see which your taste buds prefer. Careful though! One drop packs a powerful punch!
- Thirsty? Grab a NingXia Zyng – “Zyng” is a hydrating drink infused with essential oils and contains the same whole-fruit wolfberry puree found in NingXia Red, the AH-mazing superfruit supplement. Sparkling water is added along with pear and blackberry juices, and a hint of Lime and Black Pepper essential oils for a dynamic, unique taste. It is a delicious, refreshing boost that’s full of flavor without artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Need an energy boost for the midday slump? Reach for a NingXia Nitro. It will also help to boost your athletic performance and cognition.
DIY Men’s Colognes with Essential Oils
- Grab a two-ounce spray bottle and add:
- Copaiba oil: 10 drops
- Black pepper oil: 10 drops
- Sandalwood oil: 1 drop
- Vetiver oil: 1 drop
- Witch Hazel or Alcohol: 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water: Fill bottle with water after adding the above and shake well.
Can also be used as an air freshener.
- Cypress oil 8 drops
- Cedarwood oil 8 drops
- Bergamot 8 drops
- Orange oil 3 drops
- Lime oil 3 drops
- Top with carrier oil or, if spraying, top with witch hazel or vodka.
(this is one of my FAVORITES on my man!)
You are the king of your house, right? Why not smell like one?
- Frankincense oil 15 drops
- Orange oil 5 drops
- Lemon oil 5 drops
- Peppermint oil 3 drops
- Top with carrier oil or, if spraying, top with witch hazel or vodka.
Looking for some great essential oil diffuser blends for men? You’ll find some terrific ones here.
Nearly every essential oil will have benefits for men. If your woman has essential oils, give them a try. You’ll love the smell and will be “sold” on the benefits.